Skip to main content

Sub Tubs






Sub Tubs




Now I'm not sure about all of you fellow teachers, but I know that personally I started off my teaching career by substitute teaching all over different schools. This was no simple task. I subbed in two different districts. That's about 30 different schools. With each school came different teachers and different styles of teaching. It can get really difficult to come into a new setting each day not knowing the classroom rules, routines, and procedures. Some teachers don't give very detailed plans, either which can be really tough. I remember one time I was subbing in a fifth grade classroom and the teacher didn't know she was going to be absent that day and left me no plans! It was very stressful trying to come up with activities for new students in an unfamiliar classroom. Anyway, one day during my subbing career, I walked into a beautifully decorated third grade classroom. On the teacher's desk I found this bin labeled "Especially for the Substitute." Inside this organized bin was a laminated class list of students (with pictures of each student), all of the worksheets for the day in separated folders, binder clips, sticky notes,detailed plans for the day and a "Substitute Survival Guide." This substitute survival guide was on a key ring and it provided the substitute with everything he or she needed to know. For example, I loved how it listed exactly which quiet signal the teacher uses with the class. It also provided helpful information about certain students. In another compartment, there were a bunch of "Bear Paws" which is the reward system used for this PBIS school. I had never seen something like this before and I thought it was just amazing! I felt like I really had control of the classroom knowing all of the helpful information this "Sub Tub" provided me with. It may seem like a lot of unnecessary extra work for a teacher to create their own "Sub Tub" but it can be really simple! Your tub doesn't have to be as extravagant as this one. You can grab one from the Dollar Store! I can tell guarantee your class will run so much more smoothly by providing your substitute with a cute, organized display like the "Sub Tub." Not to mention, it will surely put a smile on his or her face!

Comments

  1. Wow, what a great idea! I can't wait to see what else you share on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! As a substitute this certainly helped me out. Now as a teacher I also see the benefits since when I have extra worksheets that we don't get to I can throw them in my sub tub and feel as though they are not wasted. It is great because I know it is a skill my students have already learned. - Michelle D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sub tubs... I love it! Love the idea of a survival guide, I certainly needed one of those when I subbed and my subs could use it too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment